Defining spoken word

Anything goes really. No self promo posts. General discussion about poetry/gigs/the scene etc. and especially if you've got any questions.
benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Defining spoken word

Post by benjaminsolah » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey, this is a forum thing that still exists so I thought I'd try and rev it up again.

I've been thinking a lot about spoken word and where it sits in its place amongst other art forms. We talk a lot about breaking boundaries but where are those boundaries in the first place? They might move around but I think somewhere in there is a space that is uniquely our own worth maintaining. What is spoken word? What kinds of writing/speaking is incorporated in that umbrella term? What makes it like poetry and different? What separates it from theatre and music? Curious to hear people's thoughts.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah