Introducing myself

Want to introduce yourself? Let us know what you do, how you came across spoken word poetry, across Melbourne Spoken Word, where you often go to gig etc.
Evernex

Introducing myself

Post by Evernex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:57 pm

G’day,

I recently found this website and thought I’d register and hopefully meet some other poets and enthusiasts of the art of spoken word in my area.
My name is Geoff and I write under the pseudonym of Evernex. I live in north west suburbs of Melbourne. I did write a rather lengthy introduction post but got logged out of the forum and didn’t save it so rather than write it all again I might leave all the detail about my poetry background for later.
Basically I am new to the art form and have been writing for about three years. I hope to attend some spoken word nights but haven’t quite worked up the courage to go alone and am often busy on the nights they are on.
Look forward to meeting and chatting with other artists and sharing the enjoyment of spoken word.

Cheers,
Geoff

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Re: Introducing myself

Post by benjaminsolah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Hey Evernex,

Welcome to the MSW forum. Would definitely love to hear you on an open mic. What nights of the week are you free? I can definitely help to match you up with a gig that might work. Our community is based in person, and the online stuff is just an auxiliary to that so it's definitely good to put faces to names.

And once you come to a few things, you get to know there's familiar faces around so once you meet a few people hopefully that'll help you feel less alone,

We're also exploring new forum software coz this one seems buggy often, logs people out etc. so we're hoping to find something smoother to work with.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

Evernex

Post by Evernex » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the reply.
Probably Sunday evenings would be best or some weeknights, though I’ve managed to book myself with classes on many weeknights. A bit later in the evening on a Wednesday or Thursday, but I’ve noticed from the newsletter that the open mic nights often start around 6:30 or 7. Not sure how late they go to, and whether coming a bit later is worthwhile.
But I’m pretty keen to get into it as it really has become an unexpected passion for me so I would love to find friends who share the enjoyment of this art.

Regards,
Geoff

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Post by benjaminsolah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Sunday evenings we used to host a workshop, We Work This Shop in Brunswick, but it's on hiatus at the moment until we get a bit of funding.

Sometimes Steve Smart hosts a gig at Swampland in Thornbury on Sunday nights. We often host our international artists on Sunday nights at Howler, but there's no open mic for those gigs I'm afraid.

A gig like Bar Oussou or Passionate Tongues usually has an open mic that goes pretty late, but they're Monday and Tuesday nights, but sometimes they go kinda late and you can still get on the list. But yeah, a lot them especially something like Slama, fills up quickly. To the Ends of the 'Verse can go quite late too.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah