Celebrate 2016 thread

Anything goes really. No self promo posts. General discussion about poetry/gigs/the scene etc. and especially if you've got any questions.
benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Celebrate 2016 thread

Post by benjaminsolah » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 am

Lots of people down on 2016 so I thought it'd be fun to start a thread celebrating any cool stuff you got down in the world of spoken word poetry in 2016, whether that's getting up on the mic for the first time or touring overseas or releasing a book.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Re: Celebrate 2016 thread

Post by benjaminsolah » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:11 am

I'll start, as a prelim to writing a blog post (I hope), and say this year has been full on, done a lot of stuff which isn't bragging just taking stock of being busy, but I think my main achievement was sticking to what I wanted to do, having graduated uni, was now going to make sure I tried to make a living doing things I enjoy, working in this field of spoken word, and for the most part, got out unscathed, sometimes paid, and am moving forward.

Our artform isn't the most lucrative or professionalised but to make anything out of out is a miracle for most of us so I applaud anyone who's done that because it's fucking tough but so worthwhile.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

TimHamilton

Re: Celebrate 2016 thread

Post by TimHamilton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Just getting back to gigs in 2016 was good for me! Being able to feature at the Owl & Pussycat was awesome, seeing the launch of Amanda Anastasi and Robbie Coburn's book was brilliant too.