What are you reading?

Anything goes really. No self promo posts. General discussion about poetry/gigs/the scene etc. and especially if you've got any questions.
benjaminsolah
Site Admin

What are you reading?

Post by benjaminsolah » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Poetry collections, novels, cool websites, non-fiction books...

Let us know what you're reading, what you think of it etc.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

Margo

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Margo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

At the moment I'm reading This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein. It's about climate change and how capitalism just isn't equipped to deal with it. It's a little depressing because it reinforces what a big task limiting environmental catastrophe is but it's full of really useful examples and is a worthwhile read. About half way through. Can't wait to see what conclusions she draws towards the end.

I also just read the poetry collection Viki Mealings released last Friday 'Her Poetic Body' which is a lovely keepsake of a range of her poems.
~ Margo ~

waffle

Post by waffle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:12 pm

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo. I've been intrigued by all the praise for it on the internet. Interesting and quick read although I don't think I'll ever adopt her methods. The best thing about the book was her earnest and somewhat disturbing descriptions of her childhood obsession with tidying.
"Not knowing what one is doing is no prohibition on doing it. We all grope ahead." - Anne Carson

Margo

Post by Margo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Margo wrote:At the moment I'm reading This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein. It's about climate change and how capitalism just isn't equipped to deal with it. It's a little depressing because it reinforces what a big task limiting environmental catastrophe is but it's full of really useful examples and is a worthwhile read. About half way through. Can't wait to see what conclusions she draws towards the end.
Just finished This Changes Everything. Pleased to report it ends on a more positive note. Really great book, I recommend it if you don't mind a long read.

Also read Antidote by Luka Lesson last week. I enjoyed it but not everything translates well to the page from his powerful performances. Having said that, having the time to go over it at my own pace was pretty rewarding as I was able to savor some particularly great stanzas.
~ Margo ~

TimT

Post by TimT » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:35 pm

George Mackay Brown's Besides the Ocean of Time. It's his usual book (basically he only wrote the one novel through his life, giving it different titles and making it ever more beautiful the more he rewrote it), life on a small Orkney island with a few little historical and fantastic touches thrown in to the mix. He was a poet and writer from about 1950s to 2000. I've read this book about four times already, it's one of my favourites.

TimHamilton

Post by TimHamilton » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Carrying on me...
We, the Mapless by Ian McBryde
The Adoption Order by Ian McBryde. Ian McBryde. Ian. Mc. Bryde. 'nuf said.
A copy of Poetry magazine. It can fade a little towards the academic and highbrow, but when they get it right they are awesome.
The Everyday English Dictionary by Ivy Alvarez. I'm a sucker for poets locking horns with language. This is good stuff.
The manual to the automatic cat door we've installed. Bloody thing won't work and I'm trying to figure out why without breaking it and making one of my own.

snarkattack

Post by snarkattack » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am

Just started Broken Teeth by Tony Birch to bring in 2018, and so far, so good - some stunning two-liners and imagery. Generally speaking, am trying to catch up on some book club reads from last year that I didn't quite get to (Susan Carland's Fighting Hislam), and also finished reading Hera Lindsay Bird's book (missed out on seeing her, and her poetry is wicked, clever and something of a pleasure that most certainly does not feel guilty!).

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Post by benjaminsolah » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

snarkattack wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am
Just started Broken Teeth by Tony Birch to bring in 2018, and so far, so good - some stunning two-liners and imagery. Generally speaking, am trying to catch up on some book club reads from last year that I didn't quite get to (Susan Carland's Fighting Hislam), and also finished reading Hera Lindsay Bird's book (missed out on seeing her, and her poetry is wicked, clever and something of a pleasure that most certainly does not feel guilty!).
Love Hera Lindsay Bird, got her book too.

Is Broken Teeth a poetry collection by Birch? I've mostly just read his prose.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah