On Creating "New Shit"

Anything goes really. No self promo posts. General discussion about poetry/gigs/the scene etc. and especially if you've got any questions.
benjaminsolah
Site Admin

On Creating "New Shit"

Post by benjaminsolah » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on your output of new work, writing new poems, do you regular force it, do you wait until inspiration strikes? Do you journal or free-write? What happens when you're in a drought of writing new poems?
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

HamishDanksBrown

Re: On Creating "New Shit"

Post by HamishDanksBrown » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Writing "New Shit" happens fairly regularly to frequently for me in a number of ways. I don't publish new material on the social media until I'm satisfied with it enough. I try and write something new nearly every day because poetry is an instrument that demands practice and experimentation, even if I don't follow through with posting new pieces from it. All sorts of souces generate and inspire new shit: dreams, emotions, curiosity, eavesdropping and listening, walking, reading, people I meet, music, art, travel, etc. Some poems arrive in the early hours loud enough to wake me with their insistent demand to be written ASAP. So I've learned to do just that and get straight onto scribbling them out, otherwise the poems will keep circling and prodding until I write them down. Other poems, however, emerge as threads that start pulling like fishing lines so the poem has to be hauled in line by line, word by word. Then there are others that develop slowly in unfinished fragments over months or years before it becomes apparent as to why and what they intend. Nearly all the time during the writing I am listening to how they can be vocalised, and there are often musical arrangements in the mix. A particular passage of music can haunt me for days, especially if it vibrates up and down my spine. In a receptive frame of mind I don't do much editing or redrafting of the nocturnal poems until I wake up and go over them the next day. At other times though I am considering and weighing every syllable, let alone word, from start to finish, and get so engrossed that hours will pass before I give myself a break. One exercise I've been practising since being in France last year is a series of bilingual quatrains that must be limited to 4 lines by 7 syllables, as much as possible, in both English and French, and there are already several hundred of them. The purpose of this was to improve my French, but this exercise is also very useful in finding so many nuances and shades of meaning in expressing poetry in two languages simultaneously. Writing new shit becomes habit forming in itself, out of the motivation to keep on trying to be a better poet who is willing to experience and explore and be taken by language further along the paths of life. Poetry is work to write, yet it's also the most playful and passionate pursuit. It is such a charge when your New Shit connects with other people, and when they find other layers in it that I hadn't recognised even when I was in the throes of writing them.

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Re: On Creating "New Shit"

Post by benjaminsolah » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:57 pm

HamishDanksBrown wrote:I try and write something new nearly every day because poetry is an instrument that demands practice and experimentation, even if I don't follow through with posting new pieces from it...Writing new shit becomes habit forming in itself, out of the motivation to keep on trying to be a better poet who is willing to experience and explore and be taken by language further along the paths of life. Poetry is work to write, yet it's also the most playful and passionate pursuit.
Thanks for your response Hamish, I certainly agree with these points above that even if you don't publish or read everything, writing everyday or most days is habit forming and kind of trains you so you're at the speed or sharpness you need to be to produce good shit every other day. I'm actually really poor at this at the moment, mull over a bunch of ideas in my head until the moment I need to write and the moment I'm at my desk are magically in sync and then I do. I free write in workshop and sometimes something good comes of that, but often I don't follow through with it. And the ideas that I work on the longest, are the most unfinished, where as when I do sit and write all of a sudden, the things I write quickly, in a frenzy are often more naturally in my own voice.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah