Greetings and Whatnot

Want to introduce yourself? Let us know what you do, how you came across spoken word poetry, across Melbourne Spoken Word, where you often go to gig etc.
Mana

Greetings and Whatnot

Post by Mana » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:28 am

Hey everyone. My names Rick.
I was raised on and by the Mornington Peninsula, in Rosebud.
I am a photographer and now a qualified Youth Worker.
I have only really started Dabbling in Poetry in the last 6 months or so. Ive written two poems but have now started writing more and more stuff in my Little book i take everywhere and have noticed it flowing more freely from Within, onto the pages.
Ive just started following Melbourne spoken word in the last couple of weeks, and only just started thinking about coming along and sharing some of my words on stage. Ive never done anything like that before so its a Little daunting to say the least.
Ive been a bit of a hermit the last few years with alot of time to myself, Becoming quite introverted in the process. im hoping i can find some cool passionate people to get involved with here.
Thanks for reading.

Rick B (Mana)

benjaminsolah
Site Admin

Re: Greetings and Whatnot

Post by benjaminsolah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Hey Rick,

Welcome! Glad you found our little nook of poetry and culture. We were all definitely in that starting spot soon, and lots of newbies come through all the time so you'll be in good company.

Have you thought about where you're going to read for your first one? I might recommend Passionate Tongues, next Monday night. If it helps, I'm the feature poet ;) and that's where I first open miced, as well as many other poets started there.
"...no-holds-barred, passionate..." - Ali Alizadeh | "Here is truly a writer to be reckoned with" - Maxine Beneba Clarke

Benjamin Solah is a spoken word artist, poet, writer and political activist, raised in the western suburbs of Sydney, now based in Melbourne. His performance style ranges from passionate denunciations of the system we live in to absurdist stream-of-consciousness on topics from politicians, to video games and football. His work has appeared on stages, pages, screens, through megaphones, in wrestling rings, including many regular poetry events such as Passionate Tongues and The Dan O'Connell, Cordite Poetry, Overland, the NGV and White Night Melbourne. He is the author of broken bodies, a poetic chapbook on the theme of asylum seekers, and two spoken EPs, Duel Power with Santo Cazzati and The World Doesn't Make Sense.

benjaminsolah.com | Official Facebook Page | Twitter: @benjaminsolah

Mana

Re: Greetings and Whatnot

Post by Mana » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Man im shitting myself even thinking about performing. Though i have just finished writing a piece that ive just posted elsewhere on the forum that i fully plan to make my first performed piece.
I would love to come to Passionate Tongues on Monday. I'll see what I can do about getting there as im tucked away on the Mornington Peninsula without a car. Which limits my attendance to all these groovy events. Thinking of making the move up that way soonish.We'll see.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I cant wait to jive with all you cool folk very soon. You all seem very welcoming and supportive to new people. And i look forward to being apart of that atmosphere.